LEBANESE VEGETARIAN
I was first introduced to this style of food in the early 1970’s by a Lebanese family who ran a shop in Elgin Street Carlton, when I was a student in Melbourne. The food was interesting and delicious. At that time the ingredients were not readily available on the supermarket shelf, although now this style of food is part of everyday Australian fare. You will now find it much easier to source burghul although I find couscous is a great substitute. Both are wheat products and will not suit anyone who is gluten intolerant. In that case I suggest you experiment with some brown rice.
There are a number of options here for the person who wished to limit saturated fat intake with more vegetarian meals.
Tahina is a paste made from sesame seeds, you will find in most good health food shops. We are lucky to have a local market where we can find tahini paste along with bulk dried pulses and very fresh bread Lebanese bread. We can also buy prepared falafel mix to take make the meal preparation easier.
I have included the most popular salads and dips that we are all most familiar with: Tabouleh and Hoummus along with some other things you might like to try. I have included the traditional hoummus recipe as well as one my friend Gary makes. Gary’s hoummus is very easy to make and very popular.
Broad Bean Patties in my 17 Sept entry http://moonroomgoodforyou.blogspot.com/2008_09_01_archive.html
is also is also a Lebanese dish and can be served along with these salads and dips. All these recipies sits comfortably alongside the meat dishes that other family or friends will want to include.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home