Saturday, June 13, 2009

SCOTCH SOUP

This one is from my Grandmother’s very useful cook Book
The Worker’s Cook book
Published in 1917
I was looking for an onion soup and found this. It is very simple to make.

Onions 2
Oil (sufficient to fry onions)
Oatmeal I tablespoon
Haricot beans 1 cup soaked overnight. (You can substitute a can of light coloured beans from your pantry. I have used Cannellini beans successfully)
Water 2 litres
Vegetable stock cube

Fry chopped inions in a deep pan until light golden in colour.
Stir in oatmeal and beans
Add water and stock cube
Cook until reduced down with oatmeal dissolved and thickening the soup. Onions and beans are soft.
Puree
Season with pepper and salt to taste.

Serve with crusty bread
Surprisingly filling and warming on a cold day.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home